Tuesday, May 29, 2007

i guess i don't sketch

You know, it's true- as much as I'd like to sketch my ideas out, I'm just too impatient. It's faster to dive in and figure it out and see it than it is to sketch, plot, think, make a plan and then do it right. I know the latter is the better way, but it jsut isn't as fun. Or as satisfying. Sometimes I go back to sketching, and I probably will for this little project.

I don't know what even got me on this brainwave, but something about the empty white cheddar cheezits box folded flat just screamed "cut out a shape over this fold here and stitch it almost closed and slap it on a key ring, dammit!"




And you know what, I love this key ring thing! And of course now I want to make 843 of them- leaves, more houses, some should be painted, some should have maps on them, others should be fabric! Some should just say home. Or maybe 'mine'.

Perhaps I should grab a piece of paper, now...

Does anyone else busy themselves with such silly things? Like cardboard key baubles that no one will ever use? Eva is right, of course- it is no matter what you are making, silly or not so pretty, so long as your hands are happy. And indeed, my hands are happy.

xoxo, Annie

5 comments:

Eva said...

Annie, you are a genius! Who needs sketching, if it`s already there? I mean, a folded box is better as any sketch. I LOVE this keyring!! I need one too so badly !
Now I´m going to bore you with questions about how to get one to myself. Do you sell these? Would You like to trade with me maybe? Please, please, I have to have one of this keyrings!!!!!!!!!!

Annie said...

Well Eva, you have made me giddy! Yes, I will happily make sure you get a key ring. I was thinking that maybe I should do a set of three key rings on Etsy for $9 or something (is that too much?) just to see if I am nuts thinking that they are cute. You make me feel less nuts! Thank you! And I think a swap would be great. Anyone else up for a swap?

Eva said...

Set of three is good idea too, then you can buy for your family matching key rings!!!
Go for it! :)

Erica Mulherin said...

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a heap of projects in my sketchbooks that I can't seem to get OUT and into the world of reality. I would be busy for years of if I actually made half of the things I think about. I guess I like coming up with ideas more than doing them!

Festive Fibers said...

I would love to buy a set here too please. And there is a perfect little store in Walpole called Ruggles & Hunt that they would sell tons of. You would love this store.