Friday, May 18, 2007

My next project

I have been wanting to try my hand at screen printing for a very long time and now that I am going to have some more free time this summer I am thinking it's about time to give it a go. It's seems hard and intimidating!

I am mainly inspired by Peach Berserk. Oh how I wish-o-wish I could go to Canada and take the silk screening class in person, but I am going to have to settle with the instructional DVD I purchased from them about two years ago and has just been sitting around gathering dust.

So! my first project is going to be a tablecloth for my dining room table. I sat down one day and sketched up an idea:

If you can read my chicken scratches is a picnic scene where a dog has stolen a turkey leg and is being chased by the picnickers. Some people are just standing around watching the mayhem. I also thought it would be cute to make some matching napkins.

I know little about silk screening, but I know that I am not going to want to get too detailed and intricate with thin lined and colors so I am thinking it will be an ivory linen fabric with red lines. If I am feeling super fancy I may add another color like a mustard yellow or something. At any rate, I decided to get sketching the players of my picnic scene. Here is the dog:
This is my first mother, I am not sure if I like her or not. Next to her is an innocent bystander:
Here is the Mother version 2. I am thinking I am liking a younger looking mom, not so dowdy.


Once I get everyone sketched, I am going to take them into Illustrator and redraw them to get thicker lines that will (hopefully) print well.

I think I am going to start with this screen printing kit from Dharma Trading, and I will probably get my linen there as well. I am pretty excited to start. And a little scared. Anyone ever tried screen printing before? Got any advice?

6 comments:

Eva said...

Hi!
I have n`t tried screen printing before.. All I have tried, similar to subject is silk painting. I like when you can draw on canvas, like you do on paper. Because silk painting is more like water-color painting.
I`d love to see your finished project (tablecloth) already! With bold colors and such a lively theme it would be wonderful!( I think :) )

Festive Fibers said...

One of my favorite classes in college was silk screening. And I loved photo silk screening, where you take photos, and stylize them in developing(posterise?)and then create the negative clear acetate, and then hit that against the photo sensative painted screen, expose the image and the gell hardens except where you exposed it to light, wash it off, the un hardened goo washes out and your screen is ready to use. (That was in the olden days) I did an imprint of a very scaley fish and printed it as a border for a table cloth. The fish print was cool, basically you ink up something with black ink, and press it against a soft paper to make the imprint, peel the paper away and let it dry and then you can use it as you would a negative. Erica, it is funny, I have been thinking a lot about screen printing lately, as I have been trying to find a service place that does flat screen printing (like the olden days!) to get my textile patterns printed in small runs. I have had no luck, most print houses have converted to ink jet continous yardage printing - not the style I am looking for. I keep joking with myself, well, doll, maybe you will have to open a screen printing facility to print out your designs on paper and fabric... And I just went to Peach Berserk.oh...my...god...OK Now we should go take one of these classes together. Toronto is a long day's drive or an easier overnighter, but I know Hubby would want to come we love Toronto. We were there this past September. It is a very cool town. OK. I really would love to do this.
Let's talk!

Annie said...

Erica! I love the idea of this tablecloth... holy man- it is ambitious! Please post up some in proces photos- I'd also love to learn about silk screening.

Erica Mulherin said...

Hi Girls!

The kit arrived yesterday! Yay! I will keep you posted on my progress.

Festive Fibers said...

Another thing about silk screening, another gal mentions it in her blog, "Desktop Slikscreening
http://layersofmeaning.org/wp/?cat=7
or try http://www.savegocco.com/what.html
How cute to do cards with! Annie, this is for you!

Annie said...

Yeah, this gocco business is everywhere- it looks super fun! Have any of you ever done the gocco thing?