Sunday, May 27, 2007

something simple


Hi !
I remember my first crafty projects - at the age of 10 something...They were big and colorful and quite advanced...in my mind! They didn`t turn out not like I dreamed though. But the fantasy was flowing, so vivid and real that I just kept going.
When I started to create again as grown-up, my first projects were quite opposite - small, simple and in very modest color choice. Yet I found the same thrive as in childhood! I felt pure joy just sitting on the couch with my fabric scraps and pins. It really means a lot to me - being to make something out of nothing, creating beautiful things and my joy is even bigger when these things turn out to be practical too! It does n`t matter if they are most beautiful things that I have ever seen.. It`s enough to know - I made it!
I hope that you too find simple joy in creating something. May it be small or something totally useless, made just for having nice things around you, or made only because you love the feel at your fingertips when you touch interesting fabric or paper. These things carry a little piece of you in them and maybe, just maybe from the best part of YOU!

The picture above show the work from my "beginner" phase. I wanted to make my son`s shirt a bit more interesting , so I chose little birds. I did n`t want them to turn out too girlie though so I took gray fabric ( old t-shirt) and stitched it with blue and green thread.
It makes me smile when I see him wearing it - without question its my favorite shirt now!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Eva, you have more patience than I do in my little finger- your embroidery is perfect. I love those birds!

Festive Fibers said...

Eva,
yesterday my 87 year old mother-in-law wrote saying that she was gearing up for her next big trip. Her current choices are Estonia and Norway! She does at least 2 big touring trips a year. What a gal!

I love your embriodery. I saw this great printed art the other day, they were number boards for children's rooms. The artist was a mixed media quilter, and she illustrated birds numbers,1-10. this follows suit for the alphabet quilt we were talking about. I am going to do number boards, maybe letter boards. These will be mixed media, and I think this a great challenge to produce small things quickly. Keep them small 4" x 6" to no large than 8"x8".
Then once done they can be framed (or not) and sold as small art pieces. I can see all yours in your sweet embroidery and applique. Sweet sweet sweet.

Also many years ago I met with a publisher for illustration. Their suggestion was to illustrate Rudyard Kiplings Just So Stories.
This can be another Sketchy Challenge. (Erica this will be right up your sketchy alley! Crocodile pulling the elephants' child's nose to make it long...)

Any interested sketchy hands out there?

Eva said...

Hi, Nicole!
I`m glad you like my work.I´m always open to new ideas and suggestions and offers to co-operation :))
My dream is to make toys with "written"/embroidered stories on them. I don`t know if its legal to take any story and use a clip from there.
I would love to work together with someone, who has written stories of her/his own for her/his kids or something. Anyone?

Kipling`s stories are great source for artists! However, I`m not sure if I have enough guts to do it.....

And I wish your mother-in-law great trip to Estonia and I can only hope that weather would be great at the time she is there :)