Monday, May 7, 2007

Hi, my name is Eva




I´m new here and I consider myself as an amateur amongst you guys... Ahh, a rookie!
But I try to give my very best.

I guess, when you meet someone first time, you will ask - where do you come from? And we answer - from there and there or even from there!
So I`m gonna answer you politely - I come from my parents. And my grandparents. And grandgrandparents.... I have history, I belong to somewhere! My love to create, my preferences, my memories to what I turn back now and then - these all have beginning. I do have roots. Roots, that give me the feel of belonging somewhere. I know, where I begun. There is a source of ME. Geographically, mentally and culturally. It`s comforting to feel that your soul has a home :)
My grandmother has been crafter for all her life. She is 82 years old now and still crocheting and knitting. She used to do lot more - sew, embroider etc, but her eyes are too weak now. And she says that she doesn`t need any new dresses - she has a whole closet full of them! (I have seen it, it`s true! :) ).
The pictures above show details of a plaid, what my grandmother crocheted 2 years ago.When I look at these squares I´m surprised about her great sense of color. I would never come up to put those together, but she did and the result is amazing! Those subtle, soft colors, even boring, but together here, they create harmony.
I like to think that there is something in me from her. A corner of my heart that comes from her, a gift that will last as long as I . . . Thank You!

PS I will show you my geographical home some other time, yes?

4 comments:

Annie said...

yes! please do share a little home with us... so great to have you here, thanks for joining!

Also- 2 of my grandmothers (I have 4, lucky girl that I am) are a tremendous source of inspiration to me, and 3 of my great-grandmothers, as well. Their work makes me feel like maybe I have roots to something... roots, home, belonging are, ahem, issues of mine, having been raised between two families and moving so much growing up. Whoa- getting deep into the psychology of why I create here- yikes!

Erica Mulherin said...

Welcome to the collective Eva! So glad you can join us. My grandmothers were also crafters...it must be genetic!

Eva said...

Wow! Does that mean, our kids would take same path too? :)
Thank You for welcoming me here!

Festive Fibers said...

Welcome "My name is Eva", to this very creative group! My history is also full of needle craft. I actually inherited my grandmere's knitting needle collection...full of old great needles. It is amazing how comfortable a group of women are with each other when there is knitting in our hands.