Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Evolution of a Image

First post for Erica! Yee-haw! Here it goes:

The creative process can be extremely frustrating, especially when you are dealing with other people's thought and ideas (i.e. clients, art directors, publishers....) Details you would never think about changing if you were creating this image on your own suddenly become sticking points that have to be dealt with. It would be nice if one would get a "Perfect! It's just what I had in mind!" every time you create something but that is just not the reality. It makes me wonder if I am too lenient on myself when I create an image just for me. Where is my inner art director to guide the image to become better than what I had originally envisioned? Is she out to lunch? I am going to have to find her I think.

Here is an example of an initial sketch:

This is about version 4 I think. Notice the change in the faces and hand postion of the middle girl:
Here is the approved sketch (about version 6). The girl on the right has completely changed.



Final! Even more changes, note the addition of the blue ball of yarn.
The most important thing I have learned is to stay flexible and do not under any circumstances take requests for changes personally.

2 comments:

Festive Fibers said...

Welcome Erica!
How neat to see your process. I love your illustrations and your web site. Do you do illustrations for magazines? I will be looking forward to more postings from you, WooHoo!
Nicole

Annie said...

Hi E! Loved your post, thank you- very, very interesting. Do you find that generally you are happy with results after going through revisions? Are you ever glad to have input, or does it just make you want to poke your eyes out? I regularly wish I had someone to say "yes - no - yes - yes - um, hell no - wait, yes!" so that I could turn off my inner dialogue and self-questioning. Kind of like I wish I was a Catholic so I could KNOW if I was good or bad (instead, in my Protestantism, I am left to wonder with great suspense if I am rotten). ;)