Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Silkscreen project rethink

Okay so, I got my kit in the mail a week or so ago and I got to thinking about my tablecloth and I realized that perhaps it's a little too ambitious of a project to start off with, especially since I have no idea what I am doing.

So I decided that I would start with a one screen easy image that doesn't have to be matched up with anything else. First thing was to whip out the sketchbook I have devoted to craft projects and I came across an idea for a face on a dream pillow/sachet I scribble a few years ago:


I think it was initially meant to be embroidered, but I thought this would be a good project to start with. After a couple of hours in Illustrator it morphed into a moon:


The little cheek moon on the left is missing an eye (it must have been locked or something when I selected it) but I think you can get the gist. I am hoping that this doesn't have too fine detail, but I guess the only way I will find out is to try it.

I still haven't figured out how I am going to shoot, or expose my screens, not to mention where in the world am I going to print them. I should have thought of this before I jumped in and bought the kit, but I am like that sometimes. Just DIVE IN! I also need to buy a bunch of supporting supplies in order to even begin so....oh man...already overwhelming!!

2 comments:

Festive Fibers said...

Try printing the black line work out on some kind of acetate? Then all you have to figure out is how to expose it. Looks great. Can't wait to hear about your solutions.

Annie said...

E, I give you HEAPS of credit for giving this a go- I really dig your dive in mentality.

And thank you for keeping us posted! This is way inspiring!